Tuesday 25 October 2011

Varnishing Secondary Coil

Have now had my secondary coil mounted in the winding jig for a couple of weeks. It seems to be taking ages to get the correct amount of anti tracking varnish on the coil. I have just applied the forth coat.
I have applied each coat by brush with the winding jig rotating at about 5rpm. It's a good way of holding the coil while its being varnished plus the rotation helps prevent runs from forming. As you can see after coat number 4 the coil seems to have a gloss finish. However on closer inspection.....
.....you can see there are still areas that have not been been completely covered by varnish. I have ordered another bottle of varnish which should give me another 2 layers which, hopefully, will give the full gloss cover over the whole coil.
I've noticed that you can still feel the individual turns in the areas that are not fully covered so I think I will use the rule that when it feels smooth it's got enough coats.

No comments:

Post a Comment