Wednesday 28 December 2011

Primary coil assembly

With all the combs finished and the primary coil approximately shaped to the correct spiral I decided to thread the primary copper tubing into the combs. It was slow going as you have to move the combs along the tubing one at a time working around the spiral.
It took about an hour to get all the combs into the right position. Next I drilled out the mounting holes in the anti-strike disc to 4mm and placed it over the top of the comb assembly. I noticed that the holes in the combs were not going to line up with the holes in the anti-strike disc. The combs were to far out from the centre by about 5mm. After my initial panic I realised all I needed to do is tighten up the spiral to bring the combs closer to the centre. This done, I fitted the 24 10mm M4 nylon bolts through the anti-strike disc into the support combs.
Here you can see the 3 nylon bolts that fasten each comb to the anti-strike disc.
The disc underneath the primary coil is still covered in masking tape as I have yet to make some electrical connections so may need to do some more marking up and drilling.
At the moment the primary coil assembly just sits on top of the perspex disc underneath. I will add some system that will allow the primary to be located into position, perhaps locating pegs or guide blocks.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, this comes from rhett thornhill, im building a TC myself and was looking at your mmc i was thinking to put small ring terminals on the caps and the resistors so that replacing or adding and subtracting would be very easy mabey a small peice of double stick mounting tape to each cap to stick them to the lexan base what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhett, hope you get to read this. If you have anymore questions you can email direct from the email link. I dont get to see an email address if you ask a question via comment box. As to ur question, I think soldering is better as it produces the best electrical joint. You can always de-solder if u blow a cap. Double sided tape will help position but I found it wasn't needed as the cap legs held the position once soldered. Your ring terminals will hold them if you go down that route. Hope this helps and good luck with your build. Regards Paul.

    ReplyDelete