Sunday 30 October 2011

Still finishing the Secondary

Managed to get the holes drilled to mount the secondary coil to its base. I had to drill them free hand as the base is too large to fit under my milling machine. There are eight 8mm holes.
Here you can see the secondary coil mounted on the base. The copper lug on the right is attached underneath the head of a steel bolt and this will make the secondary coil electrical connection to ground.
The end of the secondary is soldered into a small piece of 1/8" copper piping which provides a better material for the copper lug to clamp onto.
The eight bolts pass through the base and are secured with matching nuts on the underside. Another copper lug will be placed on the steel bolt to allow connection to ground.
Coco was not at all interested in the secondary coil base.
I think I will run the ground connection from a copper lug on the steel bolt out to one of the pairs of supporting perspex columns and down into the base.


If you like this blog you can show your support by one or all of these.


1. +1 my blog and email it to a friend.
2. Follow me.... It's good to know someones interested.
3. Leave a comment.... All are appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Building my first TC with my son for a science project. We are using a BTC30 kit. The instructions that came with the kit leave some questions if you have not done a TC before.

    Your blog has been informative and answered some of our questions, although what you are doing is far beyond where we are.

    Thank you, Louie

    ReplyDelete