Monday 27 May 2013

Secondary Coil Ground Terminal

I have just finished the lower electric connection to the secondary coil. As explained in previous posts this connection is made up of a 70mm x 23mm copper plate on the side of the secondary coil. The plate will be glued in place using 2 part epoxy. After deciding the final position of the copper plate I surrounded the area with masking tape, not really to offer any protection to the surrounding area, just as a guide. The inside of the area was deeply scored with sharp craft knife to produce a good key for the epoxy.

The copper plate was tinned (to aid soldering) and then the lower lose tail of the windings stripped of varnish and soldered to the copper plate. I used my new Dremel VersaTip to do the tinning and soldering. I bought it really to use as a small blow torch for tinning and delicate metal work, however I was very impressed with its soldering capabilities.


Here's a shot of the tail end of the windings attached to the copper terminal. The back of the plate was cleaned up with a brass wire wheel on the Dremel 8200 then cleaned with meths to remove all soldering residues. I removed the masking tape from around the scored hatchings on the coil, this would allow me to position the plate better by eye.
I mixed up a blob of 2 part 5 minute epoxy glue and applied it to the back of the copper terninal plate. Forgot to mention I had cross-hatched the back of the plate to aid bonding.


I positioned the plate onto the coil and lined it up parallel with the windings and made sure the lose tail was positioned nicely around the coil and taught. I held in position for about 5 mins while the epoxy hardened.


The plate got warm as the epoxy went off,  so easy to judge when it was safe to release pressure. I neatly positioned the tailing winding wire so it made a nice spiral from the end of the windings to the copper terminal.

Then I used a small brush to cover the tailing wire with insulating varnish which will protect and hold the wire in place on the form. I gave the tail wire 3 coats.


Here's the finished terminal. Think it looks pretty good.

If you like this blog you can show your support by one or all of these. 1. +1 my blog and email it to a friend. 2. Follow me.... It's good to know someones interested. 3. Leave a comment.... All are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment