Sunday 2 June 2013

Bonding the Secondary coil acrylic end caps with Dichloromethane

Got lots of Tesla related stuff done this weekend. Firstly my little bottle of Dichloromethane turned up from from APCPure, a solvents seller on eBay. This meant I could glue (if that's what you call it) the toroid mount to the top cap of the secondary, and the small blanking plug to the bottom cap. I have never used Di-chlo before so was a little apprehensive. I knew if you get it anywhere else other than the bonding surfaces it marks your lovely clear acrylic. Anyway it went OK, I don't think I used quite enough as I ended up with air gaps but the bonds are absolutely solid.


Here's a shot of the toroid mount bonded in place, you can't really see the offending air gaps and the bond is good and completely seals the central hole used for mounting on the winding jig. Glueing the blanking plug to the base cap went much the same. A slight change of design here, I glued the blanking plug to the bottom of the end cap so it protrudes from the base of the secondary. I will adapt the Tesla base so the plug acts as a central locating pin into the primary mounting disc.

If you like this blog you can show your support by one or all of these. 1. +1 my blog and email it to a friend. 2. Follow me.... It's good to know someones interested. 3. Leave a comment.... All are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment