Friday 9 August 2013

More "Ground" Work on the Tesla Coil

Hi again. Over the last couple of days I have been working on the grounding system for my Tesla. As mentioned in my last post, I had already sank one copper rod in the lawn. Plan was to get another couple of rods form B+Q and have 3 ground points spread across the lawn. Slight problem, I sank the first rod several weeks back and I now can't find it!
So 3 rods were purchased from my local B+Q. The rods are about £12 each, they are 1m long 10mm diameter copper plated rod with a nice copper terminal clamp.
The 3 grounding wires will pass through the conservatory wall and meet in the pattress box. They will pass through 3 separate holes drilled with a super long 8mm masonry bit.
I removed a small piece of turf (about 18" square) and dug out some earth down to about 10". Here's a picture of the first hole. The wire will be sank under the turf by cutting a line with a spade and easing the turf up and pushing the wire under (a trick learned watching Virgin installation engineers).

If you like this blog you can show your support by one or all of these. 1. +1 my blog and email it to a friend. 2. Follow me.... It's good to know someones interested. 3. Leave a comment.... All are appreciated.
The copper plated rod was hammered into the centre of the hole. You have to fit the clamp onto the rod before you sink it as the hammering will splay out the top of the rod making it impossible to slide the clamp over afterwards. The grounding wire was attached using a solder ring terminal and the hole back filled and turf replaced.
Above you can see the position of the second ground wire. The process was repeated exactly the same as the first ground point.
And here is the 3rd and final ground wire laid out. All the wires run into the gravel filled trench that runs around the conservatory wall. You can see Karel (wife) covering the two completed grounds.
Here's the last rod being sank. Think I was pretty lucky that all the rods went in without to much trouble.
Here are all the 3 wires in place. Next job is to wire up the grounding plate in the conservatory wall.

If you like this blog you can show your support by one or all of these. 1. +1 my blog and email it to a friend. 2. Follow me.... It's good to know someones interested. 3. Leave a comment.... All are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment